Media@UCSF is an online video hosting platform powered by Kaltura. The platform is integrated with the campus learning management system, the CLE, and provides the academic community with a centralized system for managing and distributing digital video content.
Utilize its features within the CLE by adding questions to any video file to create an interactive quiz. Use this feature to boost the power of educational videos by allowing viewers to participate directly with the video. Video quizzes may be graded, or simply used to engage students and encourage active participation.
Browse the first and second tabs below to learn how to create a video quiz and add it to your CLE course. Prefer to watch a video tutorial? Watch the video in the third tab.
Check out the last tab for some tips to consider when developing quiz answer choices.
To get started, you'll need to have an existing video in your My Media repository to transform it into a video quiz.
- Click on 'My Media' from within the menu on the left-hand side of the CLE
- Click Add New (1), then select Media Upload (2)
- Click 'Choose a file to upload' to select a video from your computer that you want to transform into an interactive video quiz.
- Select your video file, then scroll down and click 'Save' (1). Click 'Go to Media' (2) to view the video in your 'My Media' repository.
- From your 'My Media Repository' scroll down and click 'Actions' (1) then select 'Launch Editor' (2) from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Quiz icon to add a quiz question to your video.
- Slide the bar with the 00:00:00 timestamp (1) to a location in the quiz where you want to add your question, then click 'Add a Question' (2).
Note: Explore the 'Details,' 'Scores,' and 'Experiences' sections before adding the quiz question to review and/or edit some settings.
- Choose a question type to add.
- Write the question text (1), choose the correct response (2), then click 'Save' (3) to return to the quiz editing screen.
Once the video quiz has been created, follow the steps below to add the quiz to a CLE course.
- Navigate to the home page of your CLE course and then click the ’Turn Editing on’ button.” your CLE course.
- Click 'Add an activity or resource.'
- Select 'Video Quiz.'
- Name the activity (1), then click 'Select content' (2).
- Click 'Embed' next to the correct video.
- Click 'Save and return to course' to finish.
- Your video quiz is on your course page!
The video tutorial below covers the same steps in tabs 1 and 2. Learn how to create a video quiz and add the quiz to your CLE course.
Best Practices for Quiz Questions
- For multiple choice questions, be sure to shuffle answer options.
- All incorrect answer options should be plausible.
- It is not recommended to use "all of the above" and "none of the above" as wrong answer options.
- Make sure the question is meaningful by itself and represents a definite problem.
- Keep answer lengths similar.
- Try not to create trick questions, but rather allow for constructive learning.
- Use only 1 correct answer and make sure that it is clear why the others are not the correct options.
- Add the last question at the end of the video to keep the user engaged through the entire subject.
- We recommend to leave the setting for allowing students to skip ahead in the video OFF (this is the default). Not allowing students to skip ahead in the video can create a poor user experience and discourage additional views.