About interactive video
Videos may be enriched with interactivities like explanations, extra pictures, tables, Fill in the Blank and multiple-choice questions. Quiz questions support adaptivity, meaning that you can jump to another part of the video based on the user's input. Interactive summaries can be added at the end of the video. Interactive videos are created and edited using the H5P authoring tool in a standard web browser.
The following H5P content types may be added to your video:
- Multiple choice questions with one or more correct answers
- Free text questions
- Fill in the blank questions
- Drag and drop questions
- Interactive summaries
- Single choice question sets
- Mark the word activities
- Drag and drop text
Note: In terms of the video format, H5P accepts MP4 and Youtube videos. For audio, H5P works with MP3 and WAV. If needed, you can use the free online converter to convert your files to the desired format.
All question types can be configured to perform adaptive behavior, meaning that a correct answer could cause the user to skip to a specified place in the video while an incorrect answer could take the user somewhere else in the video. Typically, submitting a wrong answer will cause the user to be directed to the place in the video where the answer to the question is presented.
You may also add bookmarks so that your users can skip to specified sections of the video on demand.
Interactive videos are perfect when you already have a video clip that you want to enrich with interactive elements.
You can facilitate differentiated learning by adding in-depth information such as pictures, tables, text, and links that the learner can interact with during video playback.
Create Interactive Video H5P interactive content
Creating new H5P content is a multi-step process. H5P activities are managed through a Content Bank – an area where H5P content may be created, edited and stored. Once an activity has been created in the content bank, it can be added to your course and the activity settings can be configured as needed.
- Open the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Go to the CLE course where you would like to add the activity and turn editing on.
- Navigate to the content bank in your course to create interactive content and visit the H5P interactive video tutorial to learn how interactive video works.
- Once your activity has been created, navigate to the section where the activity should be located.
- Click add an activity or resource to add an H5P activity to your course.