After you have completed creating the quiz activity, the next step is to configure quiz scoring settings.
When a student attempts a quiz activity in CLE, the student's responses are scored automatically by the CLE based on three parameters that you can configure:
- The Maximum grade specified for the quiz as a whole (this is set to 10.00 by default). The Maximum grade parameter is the maximum possible grade that a student can achieve if the student scores perfectly on all questions in the quiz.
- The Total of points is the sum of all question marks in the activity. (This is equal to the number of questions by default.)
- The Maximum mark each question will be graded out of. (This is set to 1.00 by default.)
Note: CLE will automatically weigh the questions to make sure that the total grade fits within the Maximum grade parameter. If you use the default settings and if a quiz activity had N questions, CLE will ensure that each question is worth 10/N points.
CLE assigns a value of (Question points/Total of points) * (Maximum grade/Total of points) for each question. If you changed the maximum grade to 100 as in the picture below, you have 5 questions in a quiz with one question graded out of 2 points, this actual score of the question in the gradebook will be: (2/10)*(100/10) = 50.
Change the quiz scoring
To change the scoring for a quiz activity:
- On your course page, turn editing on, click the link to open the quiz. The Quiz summary page will open.
- On the Quiz summary page, select the Gear Icon , a drop-down list will open. From this list select Edit quiz. The Editing quiz page will open.
- To change the default grade for a question, on the right side of the question click the Edit maximum marks icon and enter the desired number in the edit box, then press Enter.
- Note: You must press Enter to save changes for each question.
- To change the maximum possible grade, enter the new grade in the Maximum grade edit box and click Save.
Note: The Total of marks parameter is not editable, but it will update automatically to reflect the maximum marks for all questions.