Most question types used in the Quiz activity are graded automatically in the CLE. This is one of the major benefits of using CLE for online assessment. Essay questions, however, are not automatically graded by the system and must be manually graded by instructors or grading assistants.
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu), and go to the CLE course where you need to manually grade certain quiz items.
- Click on the quiz link on the course page. The quiz page will open.
- On the quiz page, navigate to the gear icon and click Manual grading (all other questions types are graded automatically by the system).
- Click Also show questions that have been graded automatically to show all questions. Each row represents a different question.
- Click grade in the To grade column or click grade all in the Total column. Selecting either options will display all student responses for the essay question.
- Configure the viewing options for grading essay questions. Increasing Questions per page can be helpful in large classes.
On the grading screen, you will see the following:
- The text of the essay question.
- The student’s response, shaded in white.
- A field to enter comments for the students.
- A field to enter the number of points a student earned for the question in the Point box.The maximum number of points a student can earn on a single question is displayed to the right of the Point box.
Proceed to grade each response on the page in this manner. When you are done, click the Save and go to next page button to save your work and report the grade to the gradebook.
From the gear icon, click Results, and Grades to confirm that students received a grade for the question.