Add questions to quiz
There are multiple workflows for creating and adding questions to a CLE Quiz. While we recommend first building a robust, organized question bank to manage quiz questions, many faculty create questions while building a quiz. Either workflow can be used to create quizzes and the instructions below highlight the latter.
Here is the criterion for our final exam:
- The final exam is worth 100 points
- There are a total of ten questions made up of two multiple choice, two essay, and two true/false question types
- All ten questions are weighted equally
To create a quiz question and add it to a quiz:
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Go to the CLE course where you would like to add the quiz and questions
- Click on the quiz link that has been created inside of a CLE course. For this example, we will click the Final Exam link as shown below
- While in the quiz, navigate to the Administration block and click Edit quiz to add, remove, edit or reorder questions.
Continue with creating quiz questions and adding questions to the final exam.
Create a question
Let’s first create a multiple-choice question and add it the final exam.
- From the Question Bank Contents block on the right-side of the Editing Quiz page, click the Create a new question to add the question to the Question Bank, or click the Add a question button in the middle of the page to create and add a question to the quiz AND Question Bank.
- Choose a question type to add to final exam. Question-types that can be used in a quiz include multiple choice, true/false, matching, essay, short answer, and more. For thus example, select multiple choice and click the Add button. See the full list of quiz question types on Moodle Docs
- Create the quiz question on the Adding Multiple Choice Question page as shown below
- After creating the question, click the Save changes button or choose to Save changes and continue editing. Previously, you had to save your question in the question bank, return to the Question Bank, and click edit again to continue editing. This new feature saves time and clicks!
You have successfully created a quiz question and are ready to add the remaining nine questions to the final exam.
Choose your questions
After creating the question, you will see that the question has been added to the final exam on the Edit quiz page.
The remaining nine questions have already been created in the Question Bank, but need to be added to the final exam as shown below.
From the edit quiz page, click on add and from a question bank.
a. From this page, click the plus sign to the left of the question to add it to the quiz.
b. Alternatively, you can select the checkboxes to choose multiple questions to add to the quiz at once. Let’s select the checkboxes next to the nine remaining questions and click the Add selected questions to the quiz button.
We have added the ten questions to the final exam, continue onto the next tab to configure the final exam grade, question weighting, and ordering.
Configure question and quiz grades
After adding the ten questions to the final exam, we can configure the maximum grade for the quiz, how questions are weighted, and add or remove questions while in the Editing quiz tab. For more information on quiz grades, weighting and scoring, please see the Moodle Doc Assigning Points to Questions.
- Enter a Maximum grade for the final exam and click the Save button.
- Enter a Weight for each question and click the Save button
- Re-order questions from the final exam using the up/down arrows and cross icons.
Click on the repaginate button to arrange the number of quiz questions per page.
Choose the number of questions to display per page and then click Go to save
Question bank management
The Question Bank is a great resource for managing CLE quiz questions. Every CLE course has a question bank that can be organized into categories and subcategories. This is helpful for managing and building quizzes from quarter to quarter, as well as for tracking objectives.
To access and mange a question bank in a CLE course:
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu).
- Go to the CLE course to manage the question bank.
- From the gear icon at the top right of the screen, click More...
- Click Questions next to Question bank
Clicking the Questions link takes you to the question bank and displays all of the questions in the course. From this page you can create a new question, edit questions, and move questions from one category to another (click image to view full-screen).
Clicking the Categories tab takes you to the question bank categories. From this page you can organize questions into categories that can shuffled, randomized, and managed. Categories and sub-categories are very powerful when combined with randomized quiz questions that can be selected either from a single category or from a collection of sub-categories
Question bank tips:
- Put descriptive information in the question name so you can quickly identify the question. The question name is never displayed to students before, during, or after a quiz. This is especially useful if you are managing a large question bank.
- Create question categories and sub categories – it is better than keeping all your questions in one large category.
- Use special characters in the question name to indicate the status of question. For example, an * may indicate that the question is currently being developed and should not be used in a current quiz.
- Questions can be assigned to a category while being created and can be moved from one category to another any time after the question has been added to the question bank.
- Ensure that each category contains a variety of good questions, allowing you to randomize questions, asking different questions to each student for the same quiz.