The Media@UCSF plug-in for the CLE offers a number of media uploading and sharing options for course instructors and students. Did you know that Media@UCSF also provides free access to tools for recording video from your computer or mobile device? Currently, there are three options:
- Express Capture browser app - browser-based tool for quickly recording from a built-in or USB-connected webcam and microphone.
- Capture desktop app - desktop recording application for recording any combination of video and audio from your webcam, microphone, and computer screen. Often used for screen recordings like narrated PowerPoint presentations or website demonstrations.
- KMS Go mobile app - the Kaltura Mediaspace Go mobile application for iOS and Android allows you to capture video and audio with your mobile phone, then seamlessly transfer that video to your My Media repository for use in the CLE.
Note: The Video Quiz tool that is available in the Add New menu allows you to insert quiz questions into existing videos. We'll explore that functionality in a future help article.
If your computer is equipped with a webcam, you can use Media@UCSF's Express Capture feature to capture audio and video from it, and then share that video with others in the CLE. You can access the Express Capture feature anywhere you can upload and share video in the CLE.
- Navigate to a location in the CLE where you wish to place the webcam video. More information on uploading and sharing options can be found here.
- Click the Add New button and choose Express Capture.
- Watch for a notification or a pop-up message in your browser. Verify that the correct video and audio inputs are selected, and then click Allow. The appearance of the pop-up message may vary, depending on the browser and operating system you are using.
- Click the red record button. After a 3-2-1 countdown, the recording will be begin.
- Click the stop button when you are done.
- To proceed:
- Click the Record Again button to delete the previous recording and try again.
- Or, click the Download a Copy button to download a file of the recording to your computer. Downloaded video is in the .webm format.
- Or, click the Use This button to confirm and save the recording.
- After the video is done processing, you can scroll down the page to name and provide a description of your video.
- Click the Save button (if you originated the recording from My Media), or the Save and Embed button (if you originated the recording from within a CLE course activity or resource).
Similar to Express Capture, Capture allows you to record audio and video from your computer's webcam and microphone. It also adds the ability to capture video of your screen, so you can narrate PowerPoint presentations, create website demos, or record tutorials of systems and applications. Capture is an application that you will download and install once, and then it will automatically launch anytime you initiate a Capture recording from within the CLE.
To avoid confusion, it is best to launch Capture from your My Media repository, where you can record and save the video. After that process is complete, you can navigate to a CLE course where you can share the video in an activity or resource.
Install and run
The first time you attempt to use Capture, you will be prompted to install the application.
- Click on My Media from the from the left-hand navigation pane in the CLE, or from your profile menu (top-right of any CLE page).
- Click the Add New button and choose Capture.
- If this is your first time using Capture, you will be prompted to download and install the application. Complete the installation process before proceeding. For reference: Download for WindowsDownload for Mac.
- The Capture application should launch. If not, select it again from the Add New button.
After the application launches, you have three recording options to configure: Screen, Camera, and Audio.
- Click the icons to enable or disable each recording device as needed. Enabled items are blue, disabled items are grey.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to each device to select the correct option:
- Screen: Choose Full Screen and the correct monitor (if you have dual-monitors), or choose Select Area to draw a box around a portion of your screen.
- Camera: If you have multiple cameras, select the correct one.
- Audio: If you have multiple microphones, select the correct one.
- Click the red record button. After a 3-2-1 countdown, the recording will begin.
- During recording, you can use click the pause, mute, and annotation buttons as needed.
- Click the stop button to end the recording, and then click the Yes, Stop recording button to confirm.
- The Kaltura Capture processing window will open. Type a Title and a short Description for your video.
- To complete the recording process, click the Save and Upload button.
It could take a number of minutes for your video to process, depending on its length and complexity. Once processing is done, you can navigate to a CLE course, and share the video with others!
Recording video with your smartphone is convenient, but transferring video from your phone to another system like the CLE can be difficult. Kaltura Mediaspace Go ("KMS Go" for short) is a smartphone app that simplifies this process, allowing you to record and transfer smartphone video directly to your My Media repository in the CLE.
- On your smartphone, open Google Play Store (Android) or the App Store (iPhone).
- Search for, install, and then open the KMS Go application.
- Click the Enter URL of your site button, and enter "https://media.ucsf.edu"
- Tap the profile icon (top right button).
- Tap the Login button, and then enter your UCSF MyAccess credentials.
- If necessary, tap the back arrow to return to the Home screen of KMS Go.
- Tap the plus-sign/add button (bottom-right), and then tap the film clapper icon.
- When prompted, tap "allow" to grant access to your smartphone's camera.
- You will be prompted to select your default camera app. For example, the Video app on Android devices.
- Tap the red record button to begin recording.
- Tap the stop button when done, and the blue check mark button to confirm.
- Tap the NEXT link (top right).
- Enter a Title for your video, and then tap the blue check mark button to confirm.
- Click the Upload link (top right).
When the upload process is complete, you can log in to the CLE, and you will find this video in your My Media repository. It is now ready to share with others in the CLE.
Data plan warning!
To avoid unnecessary use of smartphone's data plan and extraneous charges, we strongly recommend tapping the KMS Go app's settings icon (the gear icon, top-right of interface), and turning on the Upload media on WI-FI only option!