The Custom Certificate creates PDF certificates/diplomas for students in a course. You can add borders, watermarks, seals, signatures, outcomes, grades, and add custom text to a certificate via the settings menu. Configure the activity to generate a certificate based on the number of minutes spent in the CLE course, the total grade for the course or a specific activity.
Create a Certificate
Create a custom certificate for a course
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Go to the CLE course where you would like to add the certificate
- From the gear icon at the top-right, select Turn editing on
- Inside the section where the certificate should be displayed, click the Add an activity or resource.
In the window that appears, select the Custom certificate resource type. This will take you to the settings page for the new Custom certificate.
- Customize the certificate settings:
- Name: This is the text that will appear on the CLE course page
- Description: Any text, images, videos or hyperlinks will display here after a student clicks the certificate link on the main course page. This is a good place to describe the requirements and instructions for receiving a certificate.
- Email students: If set this will email the students a copy of the certificate when it becomes available
- Email teachers: If set this will email the teachers a copy of the certificate when it becomes available
- Email others: If set this will email the email addresses listed here (separated by a comma) with a copy of the certificate when it becomes available
- Allow anyone to verify a certificate: This setting enables anyone with the certificate verification link to verify a certificate
- Required minutes in course: Enter the minimum amount of time, in minutes, that a student must be logged into the course before they will be able to receive a certificate
- Set protection: Click the actions you wish to prevent users from performing on this certificate
Common module settings
- Availability: Determine whether the certificate is visible or hidden on the course page
- ID number: Setting an ID number provides a way of identifying this activity if necessary. You can leave this blank.
- Group mode: Choose whether or not this activity is limited to a certain group
- Access restrictions: If you require that students complete the course or individual activity with a minimum grade before receiving a certificate, use Restrict Access to prevent students from receiving the certificate before completing the required work.
- Example: Restricting access to a certificate unless quiz 1 and 2 scores are at least 70%:
- Activity completion: If enabled, specify activity completion tracking
Edit a Certificate
Once you have added a certificate to your course you have the option to create a custom certificate by adding elements (i.e. background image, student name, title) that will be displayed on your certificate. To edit your custom certificate:
- Click the certificate that you added to your course.
- From the gear icon at the top-right of the certificate, click Edit certificate.
- Edit the name, height, and width of your certificate
- Select the elements to add a certificate from the drop-down box and click the Add element.
Here is a a list of elements in the drop-down box that you can add to a certificate:
- Background Image – Provide a background image for the certificate
- Border – A simple border for the certificate, you can define the color and width of the border
- Category Name – Will print the course category
- Code – Will print a random 10 digit code on the certificate for better tracking and verification
- Course Name – Will print the course name
- Date – Will print the dateon the certificate. You can choose to print the course start date, course end date, issued date, completion date or any specific activity completion date
- Digital Signature – Add a digital signature of the person issuing the certificate.
- Grade – Will print the grades obtained in the course
- Grade Item Name – Will print the name of the activity for which the student has been assessed
- Image – Upload and add an image to the certificate
- Student Name – Will print the students name
- Teacher Name – Will print the teacher name
- Text – Enter any custom text
- User Field – Will print the selected user profile field
- User Picture – Will print the user profile picture on the certificateNote: When you are on the certificate editing page, you can also choose to load a template to save your certificate editing process.
5. When you add an element, a formatting window will open allowing you to edit the font, color and position of the element. Click Save changes when done.
On the edit page you will start to see a list of the elements that have already been added to the certificate. You can edit, delete, and move these elements. The order of these elements determine how they are arranged on the PDF. So, if you plan to add a background image, you should add it first so that subsequent elements are placed in front of the image.
6. Click Save changes when done.
- While on the reposition elements page you can drag the element to your preferred position.
- You also click the "+" icon or double click the element to bring up the edit element dialogue box, which will allow you to edit its properties without having to go back to the edit custom certificate page.
- Click save and close.
Delete a Certificate
Certificates can be deleted by taking the following steps:
- Log in your course on CLE and click Turn Editing on.
- Locate the certificate activity that you added to your course, and click edit to access the drop-down menu.
- In the Edit drop-down menu, click Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm deleting the certificate.
Delete Issued Certificates
Certificates issued to students can be deleted by taking the following steps: