Instructors in CLE courses may find Quickmail a convenient alternative to communicating with students via email. The Quickmail block can be configured to allow students to send Quickmail messages. Quickmail messages are viewed in the email mailbox of the recipient and not inside of the CLE.
Add the Quickmail Block
Only the Manager, Instructor, and Content Assistant roles can add the Quickmail block to a CLE course.
- Log in to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Go to the CLE course where you would like to add the Quickmail block
- From the gear icon at the top-right, click Turn editing on
- Near the bottom-left of the page, find the Add a Block button
- From the menu, scroll down the list, and choose Quickmail
- After a moment, the window will refresh, and the Quickmail block will be located on the right
To move the block to a new location, use the move icon located in the top-right portion of the Quickmail block (with editing turned on). Moving this block will affect all visitors to your course.
Configuration settings allows you to change the default behavior of the Quickmail block. For example, the default setting for the Quickmail block prevents students from sending Quickmail messages in a CLE course.
- Navigate to the Quickmail Block
- Click Configuration
- Choose to allow students to use Quickmail by changing the default from No to Yes. Using default setting (No), students can only receive Quickmail messages, and cannot send
- From the Filter by Role box, choose the roles you would like to filter by when sending a Quickmail message to quickly communicate in large classes
- From the Prepend drop-down menu, choose to prepend the CLE course short name or the CLE course ID to the title of the Quickmail message
- Select No from the Receive a copy drop-down menu if you do not want to copy the sender on Quickmail messages by default. This can be changed later when sending individual Quickmail messages
- Save changes
Create a Quickmail Signature
- From the Quickmail block, click Signatures
- Enter a Title
- Compose your Signature
- To make default, check the Default checkbox
- Save changes
When composing Quickmail messages, you will now be able to select and include this signature – even from other CLE courses that use the Quickmail block
Setup an Alternate Email
Managers, Instructors, Content and Grading Assistants can setup an alternate email address to send Quickmail messages.
When an alternate email is used in a Quickmail message, such as a Gmail account, it will appear as the “reply-to” address in the message. Using a valid UCSF email address is always recommended to help simplify support requests.
- If you have not previously set up an alternate email, click Continue
- Enter an alternate email in the Email Address field
- Save Changes
- The following message will display “Alternate address [email address] has been saved. An email to verify that the address is valid has been sent to [email address]. Instructions on how to activate the address is contained in its contents”
- In a separate browser window, navigate to the inbox for the alternate email address.
- Find the following email from Moodle: Quickmail, with the subject link “Alternate email address verification”
- Verify that you would like to use the alternate email address by clicking the link provided in the email
- Once you have verified the alternate address, it can be used in Quickmail messages
- You will return to the Alternate Email page, where you can view, edit, or add additional alternate emails
- When composing a Quickmail message, you will now be able to send the message from this alternate email address
Use of an alternate email address only affects the “Reply-to” for emails sent from Quickmail. The email used in instructor’s CLE Profiles will be used for all other CLE-generated emails and messages. If the Quickmail block is configured to allow student use, Quickmail messages sent to the instructor will go to the email address associated with their CLE profile, and not the alternate email address.
Send a Quickmail message
Quickmail messages can be sent to individual course participants or groups. This includes manually created groups from the course, or groups divided by roles (i.e. all students or all instructors). After the Quickmail block has been added to a CLE course, you can begin to send Quickmail messages to students and other participants in the course following the instructions below:
- Inside of the Quickmail block, click Compose New Email
- On the Quickmail page, choose to filter recipients by Role or Sections (Groups) or choose No filter
- Highlight the users name from the Potential Recipients box and click the Add button to add users to the Selected Recipients for the Quickmail message
- To include more than one section, group or participant at a time, hold down Command (Mac) or Control (Windows) and click additional names in the Potential Section list
- To include all course members as recipients, click the Add All button
- Enter the email address for anyone who is not enrolled in the course, but should be included on the Quickmail message
- Choose to add an attachment(s) to the Quickmail message
- Enter a Subject for the Quickmail message (required)
- Compose your message (remember you can include video, audio, images, tables, etc.) in the text editor
- Choose a Signature from the drop-down menu (see Setup a Signature in the Add/Configure tab above for instructions on creating a Quickmail signature)
- From the Receive a copy of the message drop-down menu, select Yes to receive a copy of the message in your own mailbox. The default setting is No and you must select Yes each time you wish to receive a copy of a message
- Click Send Email to send the Quickmail message
- Click Save Draft button if you would like to save and return to the message at a later time to make additional edits before sending
- Click Cancel to delete the Quickmail message
- After clicking Send Email, you will be directed to the “Quickmail View History” page. Please note, messages sent using the Quickmail block are sent immediately
Receive a Quickmail Message
- Quickmail is used to send email, but not to receive. Quickmail messages are viewed in the email mailbox of the recipient and not inside of the CLE. Students can view Quickmail messages using their ucsf.edu email accounts if the Quickmail block is configured for student use.
- Faculty and staff can view messages using their ucsf.edu email account or using an alternate email address.
- Quickmail messages override course members’ individual profile settings for receiving CLE emails as daily digests.
View draft messages
- From the Quickmail block, click View Drafts
- The View Drafts screen opens, displaying a list of your draft messages
- To open a draft message to edit and send, click the magnifying glass from the Action column
- To delete a draft, click the red X icon from the Action column
View Quickmail history
- From the Quickmail block, click View History
- The View History screen will open, displaying a list of messages you have sent
- Click the magnify glass icon to open and read the sent message
Remove the Quickmail Block
Want to remove the Quickmail block from a CLE course? Follow the instructions below to remove the block from the CLE course: