You can use Global Search in the CLE to find CLE users, courses, activities, resources, and even text within resources and activities. All users have access to search, but results will only display content from courses that you are enrolled in.
Starting a new search
Searches can be launched from any page in the CLE.
- Hover over the magnifying glass found in the top-right of any page, and type a keyword
- Press the RETURN key on your keyboard to begin the search
- Browse the results, and click the title (in bold) of a result to open its page
The results of searches are displayed in three parts.
- Title – The name of item that matches your search, or the container in which your result was found (i.e. the name of the activity in which the text was found)
- Preview text – A preview of the content surrounding the search result
- Contextual links – “Breadcrumb” trail, or path of links that leads to the search result
Note: You will only see search results from courses that you are enrolled in. You must have a course-level role in each course that you wish to search. Students will see search results for any active courses that they are enrolled in.
To restrict your search results, try experimenting with the Filters available on the search results page.
- Title – Restrict your search to items with names that match your keywords (i.e. if you want to find John Doe’s profile page, but not forum posts in which his name is mentioned).
- Searched area – Restrict your search to selected types of items (i.e. search only forums, or only for courses in your “My courses” list). You can set multiple items for your search.
- Courses – Restrict your search to content within a specific course. You can set multiple courses for your search.
- Modified after – Restrict your search to items that were created or changed after a specific date.
- Modified before – Restrict your search to items that were created or changed before a specific date.