The UCSF Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) is UCSF’s space for online teaching and learning, and is used by thousands of individuals each month. The CLE is powered by Moodle, a well-known open source learning management system and integrates with complementary systems, including Media@UCSF, ilios, and Class Capture.
Moodle provides useful documentation and guides for Moodle users. Learn more by visiting moodle.org.
The Learning Tech Group provides support and training for the CLE and work closely with the development teams to keep the systems updated and running smoothly.
Introductory Course: Foundations in the CLE
Click on the button below to enroll in a self-paced online training that covers the following:
- Section 1: Get to know the CLE
- Section 2: Discover the Interface
- Section 3: Add Tools to Manage Content
- Section 4: Manage Learning Activities
CLE Frequently Asked Questions
The CLE is browser agnostic and supports Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Please avoid using Internet Explorer as some functionality may not work with the IE browser, such as drag and drop.
Note: Other content that is embedded into the CLE, like Class Capture or Articulate modules, may work better in certain browsers than others. Please contact us if you encounter any issues relating to browser use.
CLE course shells are created by the category manager in your school or department. Please contact your category manager to request a new course shell, or contact CLE support.
- Navigate to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Click login from the top-right corner of the page
- Enter your MyAccess credentials
- After successfully logging in to MyAccess, you will be directed to your CLE Dashboard page
- The Course Overview block shows all in progress, future, and past courses that you are enrolled in
- If you do not see a CLE course that you expect to be enrolled in, contact the course faculty to check your enrollment status
By default, new CLE course shells are not visible to students. Once you have completed your development, follow the steps below to open the course to students:
- Navigate to the CLE course you would like to make visible
- From the gear icon at the top-right, click the Edit Settings link
- In "Course Visibility" change the drop-down menu to Show
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes
To import/copy content from one CLE course to another, you will need to have the Instructor or Manager role in both courses.
Follow the instructions below to import/copy content from one CLE course to another.
Please note: user data will not be copied over in a course import. If you wish to import user data, contact a Learning Tech Specialist.
- Navigate to the new CLE course you want to import content into
- Click the gear icon located toward the top right of your course
- Click Import
- Search for and select the course you wish to copy content from (use a simple search, like the course short name), select the radio button next to the course name, and then click Continue.
- Check the boxes next to the type of content you wish to copy (you can leave all boxes checked, though filters are rarely used in CLE courses) and click Next.
- Check/un-check boxes next to the specific activities and resources you want to import – just leave all boxes checked if you are importing the whole course. Click Next when done.
- Follow the continue/next prompts - you will see the progress of the course import which can take a few moments, depending on the size of the course. You should see the “Import complete” message when the process is done.
- Click Continue to return to the course.
- Open the Firefox browser to play the video
- OR install the VLC player, download the video file, and play locally from your computer
We also encourage you to report this to the Faculty of Record so they can move the media to Media@UCSF to avoid this issue in the future.