The UCSF Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) serves as UCSF’s space for online learning and collaboration activities, and is used by thousands of indivduals each month. The CLE is powered by Moodle, a well-known open source learning management system and integrates with complementary systems, including Media@UCSF, ilios, and Class Capture.
The Learning Tech Group provides support and training for the CLE and work closely with the development teams to keep the systems updated and running smoothly.
Search the Help Center
Need a quick answer to your CLE question? It is most likely here in the Help Center.
Attend CLE Basics Workshop
Held bi-weekly online, attend a CLE Workshop. The workshop is about 90 minutes and covers the basic tools you need to get going on the CLE.
Foundations in the CLE
A self-paced online training that includes a basic overview of the CLE, an introduction to the interface, and information about adding activities and resources to your courses.
Moodle, the learning platform that powers the UCSF CLE, provides useful documentation and guides for Moodle users.
Contact a Learning Tech Specialist
Still have CLE questions?
CLE Frequently Asked Questions
The Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) serves as UCSF’s space for online learning and collaboration activities, and is used by thousands of users each month. The CLE is powered by Moodle, a well-known open source learning management system. The CLE integrates with complementary systems, including Media@UCSF, Ilios, UCSF Portfolio, Class Capture, and more!
What browser should I use for the CLE?
The CLE is browser agnostic and supports Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Please avoid using Internet Explorer as some functionality may not work with the IE browser, such as drag and drop.
Note: Other content that is embedded into the CLE, like Class Capture or Articulate modules, may work better in certain browsers than others. Please contact us if you encounter any such issues.
CLE course shells are created by the category manager in your school or department. Please contact your category manager to request a new course shell, or fill out the Course Request Form.
- Navigate to the CLE (cle.ucsf.edu)
- Click login from the top-right corner of the page
- Enter your MyAccess credentials
- After successfully logging in to MyAccess, you will be directed to your CLE Dashboard page
- The Course Overview block shows all in progress, future, and past courses that you are enrolled in
- If you do not see a CLE course that you expect to be enrolled in, contact the course faculty to check your enrollment status
How do I make a CLE course available to students?
By default, new CLE course shells are not visible to students. Once you have completed your development, follow the steps below to open the course to students:
- Navigate to the CLE course you would like to make visible
- From the gear icon at the top-right, click the Edit Settings link
- In "Course Visibility" change the drop-down menu to Show
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes
To import content from one CLE course to another, you will need to have the Instructor or Manager role in both courses. This is typically how faculty and course staff bring content into a new CLE course from a previous quarter.
Follow the instructions below to import, or “roll over” content from one CLE course to another:
- Navigate to the new CLE course you want to import content into
- Click the gear icon located toward the top right of your course
- From the Administration block, click Import
- Search for and select the course you wish to copy content from (use a simple search, like the course short name), select the radio button next to the course name, and then click Continue.
- Check the boxes next to the type of content you wish to copy (you can leave all boxes checked, though filters are rarely used in CLE courses) and click Next.
- Check/un-check boxes next to the specific activities and resources you want to import – just leave all boxes checked if you are importing the whole course. Click Next when done.
- Follow the continue/next prompts, and that’s it! You will see the progress of the course import and this can take a few moments, depending on the size of the course. You should see the “Import complete” message when the process is done.
- Click Continue to return to the course.
Please note that user data will not be copied over in a course import. This allows a new group of students to be enrolled and interact with the content with a fresh start. If you wish to import user data, please contact a Learning Tech Specialist.
The video is likely not playing because QuickTime is no longer installed on your PC. To play the video, try the following:
- Open the Firefox browser to play the video
- OR install the VLC player, download the video file, and play locally from your computer
We also encourage you to report this to the Faculty of Record so they can move the media to Media@UCSF to avoid this issue in the future.
The Learning Tech Group has a number of support resources and training opportunities for using the UCSF Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE) available to UCSF community members. If you are new to using the UCSF CLE, we recommend attending the CLE Basics Workshop, or enrolling in the 100% online, self-paced Foundations in the CLE course.
You can also peek over our shoulders, so to speak, and watch our tips and tricks videos that show you how to perform basic functions in the CLE.