Otter is a cloud-based, live transcription and captioning service that integrates with Zoom. For additional context please review the overview help article. Otter licenses are available to faculty from campus academic programs. This article provides detailed instructions for faculty who would like to request a license, set up their account with Zoom integration, and test the live transcription service.
Step 1: Contact the designated license manager in your academic program to request a license.
Step 2: When you receive an email inviting you to join Otter, follow the steps provided in the Setup tab of this help article.
Step 3: Verify that Otter is working.
Step 4: Learn about Transcription with Zoom.
Step 5: Use Otter with your students!
Follow the instructions below to set up your UCSF Otter account and connect it to Zoom.
- Open the email titled "UCSF Otter Admin has invited you to join an Otter team" and click the Join button. This will take you to the Otter website.
- Click Create account to create your Otter account with your UCSF email address.
Note: Do not use any of the ‘Continue with’ options.
- Next, choose a password for your Otter account and enter your first and last name.
Skip any screens asking you to connect your Calendars or Zoom accounts.
- You are now in your Otter account. Click the Apps icon in the left sidebar to link accounts. Note: For small screens, you may need to click the hamburger icon (☰) or arrow (>) to expand the sidebar.
Under Zoom, look for Otter Live Notes and click the Add button next to it.
- Authorize your Zoom account (you may need to ‘Sign in with SSO’, entering ‘ucsf’ as your company domain and using your MyAccess credentials).
- Click the Configuration Guide button (you can ignore the window that opens), and then click the Test Configuration button. If you get a "Success" message, your account is properly configured and you’re ready to start using Otter with Zoom! Having issues getting Otter.ai started? After reading the Privacy Notice below, go through the Verification tab on this article to make sure your Zoom settings are configured properly.
Now that you have Otter setup, Otter will automatically start recording audio and text transcripts during Zoom meetings you've started. Learn more about Privacy considerations for Otter.
Now that your Zoom and Otter accounts are connected, we recommend that you verify and test the process before attempting to use Otter in a live teaching environment.
First, create and launch a new Zoom meeting. You should see the "Live on Otter.ai" button show up in the top left corner of the Zoom window (see below). Clicking this button and selecting "View Stream on Otter.ai" will open a new browser window where you and your audience can see the live transcription.
Not seeing the Live on Otter.ai button? Verify that the correct settings are enabled on Zoom:
- Open a new browser window and navigate to https://ucsf.zoom.us/profile/setting, then sign in with your UCSF MyAccess credentials.
- Click the In Meeting (Advanced) link, and then and scroll down to the Allow live streaming of meetings group, and verify these settings:
- Allow live streaming meetings: Enabled (blue).
- Custom Live Streaming Service box: checked.
- Scroll up to the Closed captioning option and verify that it is enabled.
Please contact the Library's Learning Tech Group if you have any questions about the set up and verification processes. Otherwise, congratulations! You are ready to start using Otter live transcriptions with Zoom.
Continue to learn more in the next help article: Transcription with Zoom.